(Photos: 1) Illinois Beyond Coal Organizers (L to R) Christine Nannicelli, Verena Owen, and Rose Gomez. Photo by Heather Moyer. 2) Michael Brune, Mary Anne Hitt, and Bruce Nilles of the Sierra Club with Mayor Bloomberg. Photo by Kristina Hopper.)
With the GenOn coal plant of Alexandria, Virginia, in the background, Mayor Bloomberg—surrounded by media, Sierra Club volunteers, donors, and staff—announced the gift to the Club’s Beyond Coal campaign. "We all have to do our part. I wouldn't ask you to do anything I'm not willing to do myself. And I'm willing to do $50 million," stated Mayor Bloomberg. The donation will expand the Club’s Beyond Coal campaign from 15 to 45 states and double the campaign workforce.
Read more about this exciting news on Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune’s blog, Coming Clean.
Media coverage of the event was international in scope, and included the following publications:
- Sierra Club press release;
- NPR, Mayor Bloomberg Donates $50 Million to Sierra Club;
- New York Times, Bloomberg and Sierra Club Join Forces to Slow Coal;
- Rolling Stone, Michael Bloomberg Funds Guerilla War Against Big Coal;
- Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Gives Sierra Club $50 Million to Fight Coal Plants;
- Washington Post, Mayor Bloomberg gives $50 million to fight coal-fired power plants;
- Reuters, Bloomberg, Sierra Club make $50 mln anti-coal move;
- New Yorker, Bloomberg Spends Big Against Coal;
- Time, Coal Kills Every Day's: Michael Bloomberg Pledges $50 Million to Fight the Coal Industry;
- San Francisco Chronicle, The Coal Stops Here
- Philadelphia Inquirer, $50 mill to get U.S. “Beyond Coal”;
- The Nation, Bloomberg Goes 'Beyond Coal'; Activists Step Up Protests Against Tar Sands;
- The Guardian, Michael Bloomberg got New Yorkers to quit smoking. Can he shut down coal?
- Financial News Network, Mayor Bloomberg Donates $50 Million For A Campaign To Eliminate Coal-Fired Plants;
- Market Watch, Bloomberg gives $50M to fight against coal plants;
- Business Wire, Sierra Club, Bloomberg’s ‘Beyond Coal’ Campaign Would Move America ‘Beyond Jobs’;
- Huffington Post, Bloomberg Beyond Coal Donation: New York City Mayor Commits $50 Million Toward Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal;
- National Journal, Bloomberg Targets Coal with $50 Million Donation to Sierra Club;
- BNet, How Mayor Bloomberg Will Help Close One-Third of U.S. Coal Plants.