Bring a little green into Dad's life with these low-impact, last-minute gift ideas for Father's Day:
- For the busy dad: Surprise him by tackling some of those pesky household chores he's been meaning to get to. Replace incandescent lightbulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs and let him know how much he'll be saving on his energy bill each month.
- For the dad who loves to travel: Lonely Planet's ecotourism guide, Code Green: Experiences of a Lifetime, is printed on 100 percent recycled paper and chock-full of dream destinations and practical tips.
- For the dad who's always on the go: The Solio portable hybrid solar charger will be a hit. It uses the energy of the sun to recharge cell phones, digital cameras, and MP3 players--and it's available at any REI store.
- For the well-groomed dad: Pick up some Preserve razors from Recycline--the handles are recycled (made from old yogurt cups) and recyclable. Look for these environmentally friendly alternatives to disposable razors at Whole Foods Market, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, and other natural-foods stores.
- For the 9-to-5 dad: Keep him looking sharp at the office with an organic hemp neck tie. Or spoil him with a new hemp courier bag or work tote. (If it's not going to arrive before Sunday, just make him a card with a picture of the item on order.)
- For the beer-loving dad: Kick back and enjoy an organic brew with your dad, and help him pop it open with a funky Resource Revival bottle opener made from old bike chains.
- For the musical dad: Opt for an iTunes gift certificate instead a CD and take the wrapping paper, plastic packaging, and drive to the store out of the picture while still giving the gift of music.
- For the active dad: If he'd rather be biking, riding, or hiking, or doing anything else outdoors, a Klean Kanteen water bottle is a no-brainer. It's reusable, lightweight, and cased in stainless steel that won't leach chemicals into his water. Or splurge on a pair of Greenscapes Mountain sneakers from Timberland. The recycled-rubber soles, recycled-plastic laces, and hemp body earned a 3.5 on the company's Green Index, a ranking of environmental impact on a scale of 0 (best) to 10 (worst) based on greenhouse-gas emissions, chemicals used, and resources consumed during production
- For the dad with a green thumb: Organic and water-saving garden supplies from Seeds of Change or Home Depot's Eco-Options line are a gift that grows.
- For any dad: Instead of wrapping a bunch of presents, plan to spend an afternoon together: Take Dad hunting or fishing, play a round of golf, or cook him dinner. Or arrange a family outing in nature and take him to the beach or a park. He'll love the quality time with his favorite son or daughter and you'll cut back on waste.
By Emily Meinhardt and Hannah Simon