5 Ways to Green Your Workout
Inspired by eco-minded Olympians? Add a little green action to your next workout session with these tips:
- Use your muscles en route. Instead of driving to the gym, walk (or jog or bike) there. If it’s too far, drive just part of the way and complete the journey under your own power. Improve your fitness by parking farther and farther away each time.
- BYOB. Bring your own bottle and fill it at the tap.
- Share your soles. Recycle your used athletic shoes, or donate them to a clothing drive. Nike's Reuse-A-Shoe program turns old shoes into new courts.
- Take short showers. Just because it’s not your water bill doesn’t mean it’s not our water.
- Speak up. Encourage your gym’s management to take measures to reduce waste, such as turning off lights in vacant rooms, shutting off the sauna/steam room/hot tub at night, minimizing use of the heater and air conditioner, and installing recycling bins.
-- David Ferris