Organic Pet-Food Recipes: Peanut Butter Treats
This week, treat your furry friends to homemade organic recipes that are better for their health and made from planet-friendly ingredients. To make these recipes even greener, use your leftovers when appropriate and opt for bulk beans, local veggies, free-range chicken, and grass-fed beef.
Recipe #2: Peanut Butter Treats
Dogs love peanut butter. Add fish oil to this time-tested canine treat and Fido will have a healthier, shiner coat to boot.
- 2 cups of organic flour (preferably wheat if your dog isn't allergic)
- 1 cup of organic rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of smooth organic peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey
- 1/2 tablespoon of fish oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix flour and oats together in a big mixing bowl.
3. Pour in one cup of water and mix until smooth.
4. Mix in peanut butter, honey, and fish oil until smooth.
5. Add water slowly until mixture has a consistency that is thick and doughy.
6. Dust flour onto a cooking surface; roll dough onto cooking surface to create a 1/4 inch thick sheet.
7. Use a cookie cutter for fun shapes or cut the cookies yourself.
8. Place cookies onto baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
6. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes and then serve.
Store these cookies in an official doggy cookie jar and dole them out as rewards for your dog's best behavior.
--image by istock//fotojagodka
Sign up for the Green Life email newsletter and you'll receive a new green tip in your inbox every weekday.