Organic Pet-Food Recipes: Doggie Chili
Corn gluten. Propylene glycol. Red 40. Grain fermentation solubles. And. . . boot shoelaces? It can be difficult to trust the nutritional quality of some commercial pet-food brands. This week, treat your canines or felines to homemade organic recipes that are better for their health and made from planet-friendly ingredients. To make these recipes even greener, use your leftovers when appropriate and opt for bulk beans, local veggies, free-range chicken, and grass-fed beef.
Recipe #1: Doggie Chili
Treat your dogs to this protein-rich recipe to keep them fit and active.
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- 1 cup of drained organic kidney beans
- 1 cup of drained organic black beans
- 1 cup of diced organic carrots
- 1/2 cup of organic tomato paste
- 4 cups of chicken broth
1. Remove excess fat from chicken and dice into nickel-sized pieces.
2. In a non-stick skillet, cook chicken breasts over medium-high heat (make sure it's no logner pink).
3. Throw chicken, beans, carrots, tomato paste, and chicken broth into a big pot and cook thoroughly over medium heat (approximately 10 minutes).
4. Set aside to cool for about 10-15 minutes and then serve!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days. But remember to label the container — otherwise your loved ones may go in for a late night snack and accidentally eat Muffin's dinner.
--image by istock//globalp
Sign up for the Green Life email newsletter and you'll receive a new green tip in your inbox every weekday.