Spring Recipe: Zesty Kale Salad
Zesty Kale Salad
Although kale has been on the scene for thousands of years, the powerhouse vegetable has had quite a resurgence in the past 10 years as knowledge of its health benefits have become more widespread. Since then, people have found all kinds of unique ways to prepare this nutritious veggie. From kale chips to kale juice, people just can't get enough of it, and neither can we. Check out Kathy Sampson's zesty and colorful kale salad recipe below.
1 bunch of finely sliced lacinato kale (for a greener option, go with any kale that is provided be your local farmers' market)
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 basket cherry tomatoes
1/2 package feta cheese
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 lemon half
- Arrange kale, red onion, and cherry tomatoes on a platter.
- Crumble feta cheese and add to the vegetables.
- In a tupperware bowl add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt.
- Place lid on tupperware bowl and shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Squeeze one half of lemon on salad, then add dressing mixture.
Alternatives: Experiment with this salad recipe by adding other veggies from your local farmers' market or garden. Depending on your region and the season, you might try edamame, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, or avocado.
--The Zesty Kale Salad recipe was created by Kathy Sampson. Reprinted with permission
--image by istockphoto/4kodiak