Arkansas Rallies Against Coal
The Arkansas Chapter had some great success on Oct. 18 when more than 400 people showed up at a "No Coal" rally on the steps of the Capitol building in Little Rock. The rally was co-hosted by Sierra Club, ECO, Audubon Arkansas, and Clean Air Arkansas.
Arkansas chapter staffer Glen Hooks called it "a tremendously successful event."
"Our call to action was to sign a petition to Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe, asking for a moratorium on coal-fired power plants in our state," said Hooks. "Attendees could also film a 'video postcard' to the Governor."
- Dr. Robert McAfee, climatologist and member of the Arkansas Governor's Commission on Global Warming
- Dr. Dan Scheiman of Audubon Arkansas
- Joyce Hale, representative from the Arkansas League of Women Voters
- Maggie Bailey of Clean Air Arkansas
- Dr. Leah Hennings, DVM
- Cody Hooks and Grace Arnold, high school students and members of "The Greenest Generation"
At one point rally-goers even lined up to spell out "No Coal"in front of the building.
Hooks said he was happy to see so many people come out to protest and get educated - adding that the attendees were from all over the state, multi-racial, and ranged from kids to senior citizens.